Resources and References
Here is a list of useful and informative articles and other additional resources that you may find helpful in determining the best soil amendment for you to apply in your specific location and situation.
“Amending Soils with Gypsum” – Madeline Fisher, Crops & Soils Magazine, Nov-Dec, 2011
“Gypsum: Essential for Maximized Water Use Efficiency and 40 Other Purposes” – Dr. Brent Rouppet, Water Management, May, 2008
“Calcium and the soil have a rocky relationship” – Garn Wallace, Wallace Laboratories, BIOFILES, Summer, 2010
“An old tool with some new tricks” – Martha Mintz, The Furrow, 2014
“Effect of Gypsum on Decreasing Subsoil Acidity” – Richard McFarlfn, University of Georgia, December, 1990
“Gypsum – A Multi-Tasking Soil Amendment” – Martha Ostendorf, No-Till Farmer, June, 2009
“Gypsum Influences on Soil Surface Sealing, Crusting, Infiltration and Runoff” – Dr. Darrell Norton, October, 2007
“Interaction of added Gypsum in Alkaline Soils” – S.R. Olsen & F.S. Watanabe
“Gypsum as an Agricultural Amendment” – Liming Chen & Warren Dick, Ohio State University Extension, 2011
Here is a list of references and cited material that was used to gather the information about the benefits of adding gypsum, anhydrite, and limestone as a soil amendment.
- Akhovan-Kharazian, M., W.F. Campbell, J.J. Jurinak, and L.M. Dudley, 199 1. Effects of calcium sulfate, calcium chloride, and sodium chloride on leaf nitrogen, nodule weight, and acetylene reduction activity in Phaseolus vulgaris L. Arid Soil Res. Rehabil. 5:97-103.
- Aldrich, D.G., Jr., and W.R. Schoonoever. 195 1. Gypsum and other sulfur materials for soil conditioning. Calif. Agric. Expt. Sta. circular No. 403.
- Alva, A.K., J.H. Graham, and D.P.H. Tucker. 1993. Role of calcium in amelioration of copper phytotoxicty for citrus. Soil Sci. 155:211-218.
- Epstein, E. 1961. The essential role of calcium in selective cation transport by plant cells. Plant Physiol. 36:437-444.
- Evangelou, V.P. and J. Lumbanraja. 1989. Mechanisms of “basis metals” – ammonia interactions: Field implications, p. 199. Agronomy Abstracts, ASA, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Fenn, L.B., R.M., Taylor, M.L. Binzel, and C.M. Burks. 1991. Calcium stimulation of ammonium absorption in onion. Agron. J. 83:840-843.
- Fenn, L.B, R.M. Taylor, and C.M. Burks. 1993. Influence of plant age on calcium stimulated ammonium absorption by radish and onion. J. Plant Nutr. 16:1161-1177.
- Lindsay, W.L. 1979. Chemical equilibria in soils. John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY
- Muneer, W., and J.M. Oades. 1989. The role of calcium-organic interactions in soil aggregate stability. El. Mechanisms and models. Aust. J. Soil Res. 27:411-423.
- Jones, M.B., C.E. Vaughn, and R.S. Harris. 1976. Critical Ca levels and Ca/Mg ratios in Trifolium subterraneum L. grown on serpentine soil1 – Agron. J. 68:756-759.
- Nadler, A., and M. Magaritz, 1986. Long-term effects of extensive gypsum amendment applied with sodic water irrigation on the soil properties and soil solution chemical composition. Soil Sci. 142:196-202.
- Scott, W.D., B.D. McCraw, J.E. Motes, and M.W. Smith. 1993. Application of calcium to soil and cultivar affect elemental concentration of watermelon leaf and rind tissue. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 118:201-206.
- Shainberg, I., M.E. Sumner, W.P. Miller, M.P.W. Farina, M.A. Pavan, and M.V Fey, 1989. Use of gypsum on soils: A review, pp. 1-1 I 1. IN: B.A. Stewart (ed.), Advances in Soil Science, Vol. 9, Springer-Verlag New York.
- Shear, C.B. 1979. International symposium on calcium nutrition of economic crops. Comm. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 10:11-501
- Sinnes, A.C. 1979. All about fertilizers, soils and water. Ordio Books, 575 Market Street, San Francisco, CA.
- Smyth, T.J. and M.S. Cravo, 1992. Aluminum and calcium constraints to continuous crop production in a Brazilian Amazon Oxisol – Agron. J. 84:843-850.
- Wallace, A., and S.D. Nelson. 1986. Special issue on soil conditioners. Soil Sci. 141:311-397.
For More Information
For more information or to purchase a product, please contact:
Oklahoma, Texas panhandle & Kansas
(405) 366-9500 (Office)
(405) 222-8599 (Cell)
Washington, Oregon, Nevada, California and surrounding area
Brody A. Oakley
Prilled Products for Agricultural Applications
(480) 759-4148 (Office)
(602) 618-1603 (Cell)
Arcosa Specialty Materials offers a variety of soil supplements to replace missing nutrients, improve the quality of the soil, remove harmful elements like sodium or aluminum, and balance pH.